Government Affairs Director
Salary Range: $72,610.60 - $94,394.36
Who We Are
Milwaukee County encompasses Wisconsin’s largest metropolitan area including the City of Milwaukee and 18 other municipalities. The County employs over 4,000 professionals serving diverse needs of the community through our award-winning park system, affordable, convenient and well-maintained airport and mass transportation systems, comprehensive human and health services for our children, youth, adults and aging communities, supporting cultural, ethnic and socioeconomic diversity and assuring a safe and secure support network for all of our citizens.
Job Summary: The Government Affairs Liaison is a high-level position responsible for creating and implementing the County Executive’s priorities that will help improve the performance of Milwaukee County. The ideal candidate has a versatile skillset in project management, policy analysis, and relationship building.
- Working with County departments, develop the County Executive’s agenda and strategy for State action (at both legislative and executive levels).
- Project manage and track significant initiatives and projects that cut across different departments/agencies of the County, governmental responsibility, and the lines of service, providing coordination, sharing information, monitoring progress toward meeting goals, achieving benchmarks and ensuring follow-through to timely completion.
- Identify, develop and build multiple options for key policy issues, in order to spur impactful legislation, and developing strategies for achieving best results for each
- Lead implementation of the County Executive’s agenda.
- Research and analyze legislation from federal, state and local governmental bodies to find implications on County government and services.
- Build and sustain relationships with Local (other municipalities), State, and Federal; as well as relationships with other County Executives around the state. Look for opportunities to identify shared goals with other municipal leaders and other county executives.
- Represents the interests of Milwaukee County before Local, State, and Federal governments; as well as the private sector, lobbying in support of County's programs, funding and initiatives.
- Manage budget and any lobbying requirements.
- Take on special projects as needed for the County Executive.
Required Skills and Abilities:
At least five (5) years of experience in government and government relations or related positions.
Strong project management skills and ability to lead cross-functional teams. Ability to work cross-functionally with stakeholders, in and out of the County Executive’s office
Proactive, strategic orientation while tactically adept.
Proven track record designing and executing successful strategies, agendas and/or campaigns, including building trust and rapport with diverse stakeholders.
Experience with research, critical analysis, and prioritization.
Exceptional writing and editing skills.
Exceptional organizational and time management skills; able to balance many competing priorities, both proactively and reactively.
Work well under pressure and handles stress. Comfortable reacting to/leading within nuanced and ambiguous situations.
A valid driver’s license and access to an insured vehicle is also required.
Please submit your resume and cover letter outlining your experience. The review of applications will begin in two weeks, from date of posting. This position will remain open until filled.
Milwaukee County offers a comprehensive blend of benefits designed to make your life better both inside and outside of the workplace. Milwaukee County conducts criminal background checks and pre-employment drug testing.