|Position Type: Full-Time, Hourly|
Department: Facilities Management
|Compensation Range: $61,216 annually ($29.43 per hour)|
|Closing Date: Position will remain open until filled|
It is the mission of the Department of Administrative Services to provide high quality and responsive support services. The Department of Administrative Services consists of the major divisions of Performance, Strategy and Budget, Risk Management, Economic Development, Facilities Management (FM), Procurement, Office for Persons with Disabilities (OPD) and Community Business Development Partners (CBDP).
It is the mission of the Facilities Management Division to provide exceptional total lifecycle management for all County facilities and facility-related support functions in order to enable the County to deliver efficient and effective services to the citizens.
Job Summary: Under the supervision of the Mechanical Service Manager, the Painter will complete painting, wall papering and staining work for various commercial repairs and remodeling projects.
- Coat Surfaces. Apply paint, stains and other surface finishes to floors, walls, doors and cabinets. Estimate material quantities and costs. Match colors and textures.
- Surface Preparation. Clean and prepare surfaces for proper adherence.
- Area Protection. Protect adjacent areas from over-spray. Plan out work boundaries and install masking as necessary.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from high school or G.E.D. equivalent.
- Possession of a valid Wisconsin Drivers’ license is required at time of application and maintained during incumbency.
- Completion of a Painter and Decorator apprenticeship which is certified by the Wisconsin Department of Industry, Labor and Human Relations or Bureau of Apprenticeship and Training, U.S. Dept. of Labor.
- At least five (5) years of experience as a Journeyman Painter; specifically painting, staining and doing wall covering.
- Basic Knowledge of computer and software applications such as: Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50lbs on a frequent basis.
- Ability to push and pull up to 50lbs on a frequent basis.
- Scaffold Erection Certification is preferred.
- Experience in mixing paint and matching colors preferred.
- Experience with the operation of water and sandblasting equipment preferred.
- Experience with the preparation of two-part urethane epoxy preferred.
- Experience with hanging vinyl wallpaper as well as drywall taping and finishing preferred.
- Experience in plasterwork and repair preferred.
- Experience in the use of spray equipment – i.e. Airless, conventional and other preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Knowledge of the standards, practices, materials and process of the painting craft; thorough knowledge of Painter trade; skill in mixing paint and matching colors; ability to paint and apply finishes; ability to apply protective coats to surfaces; ability to work with all products; ability to work comfortably at heights; and ability to work effectively and harmoniously with others.
PG5405 (5700 Facilities Mgmt) E.Callow
| Special Instructions: This Original Examination is open to qualified internal and external candidates of the State of Wisconsin. The selection process will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods.|
Milwaukee County offers competitive benefit package including group life, health and dental insurance; including major medical coverage of employees and dependents; deferred compensation and contributory pension plan, pre-tax childcare and dependent care program. Additionally, the federal government offers a loan forgiveness program for employees that serve in the public sector.
Milwaukee County is an Equal Opportunity/E-verify employer committed to diversity and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability genetic information or protected veteran status. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements.