Director of Communications
|Position Type: Full-time, Exempt|
Department: Director of Communications
Job Summary: The Director of Communications is a high-level position responsible for disseminating the County Executive’s message in both traditional and non-traditional media. Serves as the press secretary for the County Executive and is a member of the County Executive’s marketing team (that includes community outreach, and constituent relations functions). The Director seeks and cultivates opportunities for the County Executive to educate and engage the public on strategic initiatives and promote the County as a model community against which other governmental entities benchmark. The position is responsible for building and maintaining relationships with the press and other communications stakeholders, while working closely with other public relations professionals in various Milwaukee County departments
- Developing and nurturing relationships with local and national media that drive specific, defined long-term media relations strategies. Addressing inquiries from the media and other parties.
- Proactively preparing PR campaigns/programs; planning and coordinating media events (press conferences, interviews, site visits, panel discussions, etc.); and working in tandem with PR vendors (where appropriate) to create and maintain a favorable public image of the County.
- Designing/editing promotional materials (brochures, videos, social media posts, etc.). Preparing and/or approving press releases for the CEX office and all County departments.
- Supporting overarching branding priorities via thought leadership, project management, and as a contributing member of the County’s MarComm Council.
- Using the customer relationship management (CRM) tool to support strategic PR and Marketing relationships and priorities.
- Optimizing performance and impact of web and social media channels. Collaborating with the Web Administrator (webmaster) to develop content governance strategies and procedures.
- Proactive PR strategy development and implementation: Remaining up-to-date departmental business strategies and creating monthly communications calendars and work plans that aim to mitigate risks, communicate accomplishments and reinforce narrative. Working with other public relations professionals in the County to ensure plans are comprehensive and meet everyone’s needs. Managing implementation of work plans.
- Leading crisis communications on behalf of all County agencies. Developing predictable processes to manage risk through research, critical analyses, content development, and dissemination.
- Developing, activating, and leveraging networks and positive relationships with stakeholders, both outside and within the County, in support of the County Executive’s vision and strategic goals. Promoting the “One County” mission.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, advertising, communications or a related discipline required with at least five (5) years of related experience.
- Proactive, strategic orientation while tactically adept.
Proven track record designing and executing successful and impactful public relations campaigns, including building trust and rapport with diverse stakeholders.
Experience with research, critical analysis, prioritization, and storytelling.
Experience acting as an organization’s spokesperson; comfortable and skilled delivering broadcast, print, and social media interviews.
Exceptional writing and editing skills.Solid experience with social media including blogs, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
Exceptional organizational and time management skills; able to balance many competing priorities, both proactively and reactively.
Demonstrated project management experience.
Work well under pressure and handles stress.
Comfortable reacting to/leading within nuanced and ambiguous situations.
A valid driver’s license and access to an insured vehicle is also required.
|Special Instructions: This position is Unclassified and open interested candidates throughout the United States. Please submit resume and cover letter, on or before January 19, 2018 @ 5:59pm CST. |
Milwaukee County offers competitive benefit package including group life, health and dental insurance; including major medical coverage of employees and dependents; deferred compensation and contributory pension plan, pre-tax childcare and dependent care program. Additionally, the federal government offers a loan forgiveness program for employees that serve in the public sector.