The Milwaukee County Department of Transportation (MCDOT) is a diverse Department charged with developing and maintaining Milwaukee County's vast infrastructure needs based on the diverse talent and qualifications of its staff. There are five distinct divisions within the Department and each is charged with a unique role in serving the needs of the County
The Auto & Equipment Technician repairs vehicles and equipment. Under general supervision this position is responsible for the repair, setup, dismantling and upkeep of all county owned vehicles and equipment
1. Diagnosis and repair of vehicles and equipment.
2. Use shop equipment such as floor hoist, diagnostic equipment, etc.
3. Order equipment as needed.
4. Complete paperwork as needed.
5. Dismantle and prepare vehicles and equipment for auction.
6. Read and Interpret service repair manuals and electrical hydraulic schematics.
7. Respond as needed to all snow duty call outs.
8. Perform other related duties as assigned.
- HS Diploma or GED equivalent;
- Five (5) or more years of maintenance and repair experience of late model year vehicles/construction equipment is preferred. As a substitution for experience, you can qualify if you have recently, within the last eight (8) years, completed either of the following:
- A one (1) year certified Automotive Maintenance Technician Program AND one (1) year of work experience in the maintenance and repair of late model automotive, light or heavy duty truck or heavy road equipment which must have included computerized automotive system is required.
- A two (2) year certified Automotive Maintenance Technician Program is required.
- Valid state of Wisconsin driver’s license at time of application and maintained throughout employment;
- Possession of a valid Wisconsin CDL “Class B” (no air brake restriction) driver’s license is required within six months after appointment;
- Experience in the use of hand tools of the trade is required;
- Ability to lift/carry 10-75 lbs. and push/pull up to 25 lbs.
- Automobile Service Excellence (ASE) certification preferred;
- Welding/fabricating, hydraulic and computer diagnostic experience are preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of standard practices and procedures in testing and repairing various types of automotive and other gasoline or diesel operated equipment; skill in the use of diagnostic equipment; skill in the maintenance and repair of engines, brake systems, manual and automatic transmissions, differentials, clutches, steering assemblies, front and rear axles, fuel injection systems, anti-lock brakes, air brakes, and hydraulic systems; ability to access component parts on automotive equipment that are difficult to reach; ability to lift/carry 10-75 lbs. and push/pull up to 25 lbs.; ability to use a computer; ability to weld using gas and electric welders; ability to use cutting torches; ability to access component parts on automotive equipment that are difficult to reach; heavy lifting (which may require long periods of standing, bending, squatting, etc. ability to work in inclement weather; ability to work effectively and harmoniously with others.
PG21 5300 Fleet E.Callow
Milwaukee County offers competitive benefit package including group life, health and dental insurance; including major medical coverage of employees and dependents; deferred compensation and contributory pension plan, pre-tax childcare and dependent care program. Additionally, the federal government offers a loan forgiveness program for employees that serve in the public sector.
Milwaukee County is an Equal Opportunity/E-verify employer committed to diversity and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability genetic information or protected veteran status. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements.