This position is open to Adult Health or Family Practice Clinical Nurses Specialist.
Specialists.Under general direction of the Service Medical Director or designee and in accordance with approved practice guidelines and delineated clinical privileges to provide independent somatic or psychiatric care to adults, adolescents &/or children within an in-patient hospital setting, crisis observation or ambulatory care setting. Advanced practice nurses are used in addition to MD/DO staff to meet essential 24/7 patient care needs.
1. Performs physical examination or psychiatric assessment and medical screen upon patient admission to the service; takes detailed health history; completes neurological exam screening.
2. Identify and assess presenting medical or psychiatric issues and address patient needs through formulation of nursing diagnosis and health care/behavioral health plan based on the patient’s condition; provides follow-up care and patient education, as needed.
3. Orders laboratory and diagnostic tests; interprets and evaluates results; prescribes and administers medications, treatments and immunizations, as appropriate to diagnosis and presenting issue.
4. Responds to treatment team requests; consults with attending psychiatrist, other team members and outside physicians, ancillary professionals, agencies and other individuals/groups; makes referrals for routine, urgent or emergency treatment, as indicated.
5. Maintains appropriate and timely medical record documentation (electronic and written form), in conformance with regulatory requirements and hospital standards.
6. May conduct therapy and perform other medical services in accordance with scope of specialty training and approved privilege delineation.
7. Participates in staff development and professional review activities; may participate on committees; may serve as a preceptor for nursing and physician assistant students.
8. Updates professional and pharmacology knowledge on a continuing basis through formal continuing education, research, professional trade journals; maintains ANCC (or equivalent) nurse practitioner or clinical nurse specialist certification required for specialty privileges.
9. Performs other duties as assigned
As an express condition of employment, practitioner shall apply for, obtain and maintain privileges through the Medical Staff Organization of the Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Division. Practitioner must meet membership eligibility requirements and receive an affirmative recommendation for all clinical privileges as may be necessary for practitioner's hospital practice. Practitioner must further meet Medicare/Medicaid enrollment eligibility. This eligibility must be established prior to employment start date.