Advanced Nurse Prescriber (Full-Time)
|Position Type: Full-time, Hourly|
Department: Behavioral Health Division
|Compensation Range: $39.21 - $56.86 per hour ($81,569.90 - $118,276.91)|
|Closing Date: This position is open on a continuous basis until further notice.|
This position is open to Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioners or Clinical Nurse Specialists.
Under general direction of the Service Medical Director or designee and in accordance with approved practice guidelines and delineated clinical privileges to provide independent somatic or psychiatric care to adults, adolescents &/or children within an in-patient hospital setting, crisis observation or ambulatory care setting. Advanced practice nurses are used in addition to MD/DO staff to meet essential 24/7 patient care needs.
- Based on specialty training and approved privileges, performs physical examination or psychiatric assessment and medical screen upon patient admission to the service; takes detailed health history; completes neurological exam screening.
- Identify and assess presenting medical or psychiatric issues and address patient needs through formulation of nursing diagnosis and health care/behavioral health plan based on the patient’s condition; provides follow-up care and patient education, as needed.
- Orders laboratory and diagnostic tests; interprets and evaluates results; prescribes and administers medications, treatments and immunizations, as appropriate to diagnosis and presenting issue.
- Responds to treatment team requests; consults with attending psychiatrist, other team members and outside physicians, ancillary professionals, agencies and other individuals/groups; makes referrals for routine, urgent or emergency treatment, as indicated.
- Maintains appropriate and timely medical record documentation (electronic and written form), in conformance with regulatory requirements and hospital standards.
- May conduct therapy and perform other medical services in accordance with scope of specialty training and approved privilege delineation.
- Participates in staff development and professional review activities; may participate on committees; may serve as a preceptor for nursing and physician assistant students.
- Updates professional and pharmacology knowledge on a continuing basis through formal continuing education, research, professional trade journals; maintains ANCC (or equivalent) nurse practitioner or clinical nurse specialist certification required for specialty privileges.
- Performs other duties as assigned
As an express condition of employment, practitioner shall apply for, obtain and maintain privileges through the Medical Staff Organization of the Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Division. Practitioner must meet membership eligibility requirements and receive an affirmative recommendation for all clinical privileges as may be necessary for practitioner's hospital practice. Practitioner must further meet Medicare/Medicaid enrollment eligibility. This eligibility must be established prior to employment start date.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Family Practice, Adult Health or Psychiatric/Mental Health.
- Wisconsin Registered Nurse License
- Wisconsin APNP License
- Three (3) years of RN experience required.
- One (1) year of post-grad NP/CNS experience within certification specialty desirable.
- Federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Registration
- Certification by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) (or equivalent) as a Nurse Practitioner or Clinical Nurse Specialist; must be maintained, at all time, on and after initial date of appointment
- Specific Specialty Certification required is based on program assignment. APN specialties utilized at BHD are limited to: Family Practice, Adult Health and Psychiatric/Mental Health
|Special Instructions: The ORIGINAL EXAMINATION is open to qualified residents of the United States. Appointee must establish residency within the confines of the State of Wisconsin within six months of appointment and maintain such residency during incumbency. In accordance with Rule III Section 12 of the Civil Service Rules a non-competitive examination will be held for this position. The non-competitive examination will consist of criteria deemed appropriate by the Director of Human Resources to rank applicants on the eligible list for this position. |
Milwaukee County offers competitive benefit package including group life, health and dental insurance; including major medical coverage of employees and dependents; deferred compensation and contributory pension plan, pre-tax childcare and dependent care program. Additionally, the federal government offers a loan forgiveness program for employees that serve in the public sector.
Milwaukee County is an Equal Opportunity/E-verify employer committed to diversity and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability genetic information or protected veteran status. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements.