Registered Nurse-Pool Positions
|Position Type: Pool Position, Hourly|
Department: Behavioral Health Division
|Compensation Range: $34.74 per hour|
|Closing Date: Open until positions are filled|
NEVER FORGET WHY YOU BECAME A NURSE!
At the Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Division, we never do. In fact, the words purpose, drive and compassion are at the bedrock of what we do and who we are. With our transformation to become the national leader in behavioral health services, we won’t hire people who don’t share those values. But for the ones who do, we go a step further. We offer an opportunity to be on the front line with a team changing the way behavioral health care is delivered to Milwaukee County. We need nurses who have what it takes to make a difference in the lives of Milwaukee County residents with mental health needs.
Job Summary: Under general direction, to assess the patient’s physiological and psychosocial needs and develop nursing diagnoses. Note: All pool positions are paid at an hourly rate. These positions will be cross-trained to cover all units. Pool RNs are required to work a minimum of four (4) shifts per month, including off shifts and weekends. Upon hire, Pool RNs must be able to attend a three (3) weeks of full-time, day shift orientation Monday-Friday plus several weeks of part-time (more flexible) orientation to get trained as quickly as possible.
- Develop and/or adjust plan of care and evaluate outcomes with prescribed nursing practices.
- Employ care, medication and treatment orders prescribed for clients by physicians, nurses and other disciplines.
- Respond to unpredictable patient situations.
- Evaluate, document and report pertinent client observations, concerns and reactions to the appropriate person (i.e. physicians, charge nurse, nursing supervisor).
- Serve as a resource and mentor to other nursing and support staff.
- Assist with orientation and on the job training of nursing personnel.
- Maintain the standards of nursing care and implement policies and procedures of the facility and unit.
- Assign nursing care to other staff members in accordance with the clients’ needs, personal capabilities and qualifications.
- Establish and maintain communications with physicians, resource people and other health care disciplines.
- Participate in unit and department professional activities such as quality assurance, research and educational endeavors.
- Facilitate verbal and written communication with clients’, families and/or health care members.
- Maintain appropriate clinical records.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
This position is open on a continuous basis until further notice.
Licensed or eligible to obtain licensure as a professional registered nurse in the State of Wisconsin is required. Specialized preparation for certain services desirable.
Applicants in their final semester of study will be considered as meeting the degree requirement pending proof of education and passing State boards for licensure.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of the current theory, methods, techniques and practices of nursing; knowledge of legal and ethical standards of nursing practice; problem solving skills; English oral and written communication skills; ability to work in stressful situations; ability to make safe and competent judgments; ability to walk to assigned areas of the facility; ability to stand, squat, flex legs, bend at the waist and walk-up stairs; ability to lift 25 pounds; ability to work effectively and harmoniously with clients’, personnel and professionals.
| Special Instructions: This Original Examination is open to qualified internal and external candidates of the State of Wisconsin. The selection process will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods.|
Milwaukee County offers competitive benefit package including group life, health and dental insurance; including major medical coverage of employees and dependents; deferred compensation and contributory pension plan, pre-tax childcare and dependent care program. Additionally, the federal government offers a loan forgiveness program for employees that serve in the public sector.
Milwaukee County is an Equal Opportunity/E-verify employer committed to diversity and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability genetic information or protected veteran status. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements.