Job Summary: This position performs land surveying duties for capital improvement projects and day to day survey needs, such as property line location, legal description preparation, resolution for drainage issues, etc., for all Milwaukee County Departments. Process survey data to convert to AutoCAD drawings of survey data.
- Preliminary topographic survey for proposed design work. Provide accurate and detailed information of existing features necessary to design proposed work.
- Construction staking of designed work. Provide accurate horizontal and vertical locations of designed features to layout where features are to be constructed. Prioritize construction staking efforts at multiple construction project on-going at the same time.
- Property surveys. Provide records research, boundary locations, plats of survey, legal descriptions and other misc. types of surveys as needed.
- Prepare reports, drawings, exhibits and studies using different types of computer programs including AutoCAD, excel, Word, GIS software.
- Provide accurate records of existing structures and topographic features to update “as-built” records.
- Assist in the design of new plans for construction by providing supplementary survey information, AutoCAD details and annotation, alignment information, etc.
- Assist in condition assessments/inspections of various County utilities and pavements.
- Maintain survey equipment and records as well as keep up to date on new practices and procedures to provide the best information possible. Incorporate new technology to stay efficient with equipment and staff time.
- High School Diploma or GED (Associate degree land surveying, engineering, construction or a closely related field preferred)
- Five (5) years of experience in land surveying
- Valid Wisconsin driver’s license
- Wisconsin Registered Land Surveyor License
- Pass background check for securing security badge/license for General Mitchell International Airport
Must have the ability to:
- work in difficult weather conditions – hot, cold, snow, etc.
- carry equipment and traverse challenging topography
- lift/carry up to 25lbs.
- work independently
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Basic computer and software applications knowledge, such as word processing and spreadsheets.
- Advanced knowledge/experience with survey data collection software
- Intermediate knowledge of AutoCAD and Civil 3D
- Knowledge of the techniques, and principals and procedures related to surveying, construction staking, data collection and courthouse and on-line property records research.