General Mitchell International Airport (MKE) is one of the region’s major economic drivers and an exciting area of growth for Milwaukee County. The Director of Operations and Maintenance reports directly to the Airport Director. This position is responsible for the strategic development and programmatic oversight through subordinate managers in the areas of Airport Operations, Maintenance, Safety and Security, Fire Protection, and Environmental Stewardship.
- Demonstrate leadership, judgement, strategy, and vision in planning work activities and long-term development goals for the areas of airport operations, maintenance, safety and security, fire protection and environmental services.
- Be an effective communicator conveying appropriate information to leadership, peers, staff, contractors, clients, and business partners based on situational needs and conditions.
- Ability to work and lead under the pressure of changing conditions, and times when situations become stressful.
- Understand the need to work additional hours if necessary to get work tasks accomplished.
- Work in collaboration with tenants, stakeholders, and business partners to improve operations and resolve issues.
- Have a working understanding of airfield safety, runway incursion prevention, snow removal operations, and emergency conditions.
- Accountable and responsible for compliance requirements with federal, state, and local regulatory agencies. Monitor for future regulatory changes that affect airport operations.
- Have general knowledge of airport design, project planning, construction, and maintenance.
- Understand the impact of environmental regulations water and air quality on airport operations.
- Develop program area budgets and provide regular fiscal oversight for assigned areas.
- Oversee capital projects and provide regular updates on project status.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Management, Operations or closely related field
- Five or more years of experience in Airport/Airline operations or maintenance experience
- Five or more years of management/supervisory experience
- Valid driver’s license
- Master’s degree in a related field
- Certified member (CM), or Accredited Airport
Milwaukee County offers a comprehensive blend of benefits designed to make your life better both inside and outside of the workplace. Milwaukee County conducts criminal background checks and pre-employment drug testing.
Milwaukee County is an Equal Opportunity/E-verify employer committed to diversity and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability genetic information or protected veteran status.